Together North Jersey has partnered with NJTPA to create the Together North Jersey Institute which will sponsor a series of technical assistance and training activities designed to enhance the capacity of counties, municipalities, nonprofits and others within the region to advance implementation of the strategies and actions recommended in the Together North Jersey Plan.
The training will be conducted in workshop format and hosted by either NJTPA or Rutgers-Bloustein. The Together North Jersey Institute will partner with subject-matter experts or training practitioners who already have programs or curriculum on a particular topic, when appropriate. This will also provide an opportunity for local implementers within the region, such as counties and municipalities to connect with subject matter experts across a range of topics.
Timing and Schedule: The TNJ Training Institute will launch in January, 2017, and continue with a training program every one to two months. The following events have been schedule for early 2017:
- Creative Placemaking Workshop (1 of 3) – May 24, 2017
Past Events: Presentations and other materials from past events can be found at the links below.
- FHWA Road Diet Workshop (January 12 and January 13)
- Parklets Workshop (February 10)
- National Flood Insurance Program Community Rating System (April 3, 2017)
- Census Building Builder Showcase (April 27, 2017)
The the selection of training and technical assistance programs is based largely on input received from the TNJ Task Forces. The following topics have been identified as other potential training programs for the TNJ Training Institute:
- Grant Writing
- Complete Streets (walkable/bikeable communities)
- Creative Placemaking
- K-12 Curriculum Connections to Workforce Development
- Green Infrastructure
- Transit Supportive Highways
- Pedestrian Walkability Audits
- Talent Network Symposium
- Parking Management
- Street Smart – How improve Pedestrian Safety in High Traffic Corridors
- Crime Prevention through Environmental Design
- Transit Supportive Development
- Transit Improvement Districts/Business Improvement District
- Transit Hub Designs