This event took place on June 20, 2017. You can download all event materials here: http://togethernorthjersey.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/June-2017-event-materials.zip
Together North Jersey will be hosting a full-day event on funding, foundations and grant writing on June 20, 2017 at the Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy in New Brunswick, NJ. The workshop will provide TNJ stakeholders with information about the potential sources for grants aligned with advancing strategies from the Together North Jersey Plan. It will also share information on how to find the right grant opportunities for projects and how to prepare stronger proposals that increase success in getting grants. The day will include a conference-style plenary session in the morning and an optional hand-on training workshop in the afternoon.
8:30 to 9:00 Registration (a light breakfast will be served)
9:00 to 9:15 Welcome and Overview
- Mary K Murphy, Executive Director of the North Jersey Transportation Planning Authority (NJTPA) and Honorable Peter Palmer, Freeholder from Somerset County and Chairman of the Board for NJTPA;
- Zenobia Fields, Department Director for Planning at NJPTA
9:15 to 9:30 TNJ 2.0 Update: Focus on Implementation – Jon Carnegie, Executive Director of the Voorhees Transportation Center and Project Director for Together North Jersey
9:30 to 10:00 The Federal Role in Funding
- US Department of Transportation – Calvin Edgehill, FHWA
- US Housing and Urban Development – Justin Scheid, Deputy Director, Office of International and Philanthropic Innovation
- US Economic Development Administration – Matthew Suchodolski, Management Analyst
- US Department of Labor, Employment Training Administration – Eric Nelson, Director, Office of Special Initiatives
10:00 to 11:00 Panel of Private Funders: Discussion of their mission and criteria for how they fund projects/what they look for.
- Moderator – Zenobia Fields, Department Director of Planning for NJTPA
- Valley National Bank – Jerry Flach, Project Management Leadership Professional
- Wells Fargo Regional Foundation – Crystal Dundas, Program and Communications Officer
- Horizon Foundation – Filomena Machleder, Program Officer
11:00 to 11:15 BREAK
1:15 to 12:15 Panel of Local Communities: NJ Communities that have implemented projects using non-traditional partnerships or funding sources
- Moderator – Vivian Baker, Director, Intermodal and Interagency Coordination for NJTRANSIT
- Perth Amboy – Mayor Wilda Diaz
- City of Passaic –Rick Fernandez PP AICP – Business Administrator
- New Brunswick Tomorrow – Jaymie Santiago, Executive Director
- Somerville –
12:15 to 1:15 Lunch – on your own in New Brunswick
1:30 to 3:00 Finding Foundation Funding: Tips & Strategies: There are funding opportunities for communities to implement a variety of improvements and programs that address healthy community design. Attendees will learn about grant writing 101 and the ins and outs of applying for foundation grants. Participants will walk away with ideas on how to leverage community resources, tips and strategies for applications, and how to find the grants that align with community goals. Panelists from the foundations will be invited to stay for this session.
- Moderator – Leigh Ann Von Hagen, AICP, PP – Voorhees Transportation Center, Rutgers University
- Craig Weinrich, Director of Members Services for the Council of New Jersey Grantmakers
Breakout Activity and Interactive Discussion –”Fund This Idea”: Attendees will be given a hypothetical project and work in small groups to brainstorm potential funding sources and application components. Participants will present their ideas to a “shark tank” (and the rest of the group) who will provide feedback and discuss how to strengthen applications.